Sunday, March 17, 2013

EASTER GRASS IN A CHICKEN FEEDER

DSC_0241
I love this time of year, especially because it’s time to grow some Easter Grass. Green just makes me think of spring! I made a tutorial a few years ago on how to grow real Easter grass and you can go HERE that shows my step by step instructions. I will give a few tips here but, the complete tutorial is found on my tutorial blog post.
This year I planted in a chicken feeder. I know what you are thinking….a CHICKEN feeder. But, the shape is phenomenal and fills a long table with the perfect amount of greenery. It is wonderful for spring.
I also used the chicken feeder this last week for an event that celebrated a women’s organizations birthday, so I used some simple pink scrapbook paper and bamboo sticks to complete my dessert table centerpiece.
DSC_0153DSC_0155DSC_0156DSC_0157
 
I used grocery sacks to cover the bottom because I had small holes in the corners of the chicken feeder. Some chicken feeders aren’t water tight so I had to use plastic to cover the bottom and corners, then filled with potting soil. I used my water bottle to wet it down with water and then spread my soaked wheat on top.
DSC_0264Saturated
After seven days, I had a beautiful grass centerpiece to set on a long dessert table. I picked up my camera and was ready to click a picture of the table at the event and my camera flashed “no SD card”. Grrrr  So, I didn’t get any pictures at the event. I snapped this one the next morning. Image the dessert table with all pink, black and white décor. SO CUTE!
DSC_0234Saturation
The paper letters were taped to bamboo sticks (kabob sticks) and stuck into the grass. The “happy” sign was held up with two bamboo sticks.
DSC_0230Saturation
Now that the event is over, I am using it as my centerpiece on my long farm table. After about a week, the grass will need a haircut. I trim off the top and them my whole kitchen smells like cut grass. Such a wonderful spring smell!
DSC_0287OhSnap
A simple centerpiece, PERFECT for spring, even if it is in a chicken feeder!
CassySignature2
 
cassandradesignstudio.com

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails